For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup seedless blackberry jam
- Cinnamon-sugar, for topping (optional)
For the frosting:
- 3 (8 oz) blocks cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray bottom and sides of two 9-inch cake pans with cooking spray. Line bottoms with parchment paper; spray paper with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift or whisk together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar 3 minutes at medium speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat 1 more minute to fully incorporate ingredients.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared cake pans. Bake 40 to 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer pans to cooling racks for 20 minutes; then, carefully invert cakes, remove parchment paper, and flip right side up. Place on cooling racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: In a medium bowl, beat together 1 block cream cheese with sour cream and heavy cream until combined.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together remaining 2 blocks cream cheese with butter 3 minutes at medium speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar, vanilla and orange zest. Stir in 8 oz (about 1 cup) of the cream cheese-sour cream mixture.
- Trim the tops of the cakes so they are flat. Place one cake on a serving plate. Spread blackberry jam evenly on top. Spread 1 cup frosting on top of jam. Place second cake upside-down on top of frosted cake. Top second cake with another 1 1/2 cups frosting.
- Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar (equal parts ground cinnamon and granulated sugar mixed together), if desired, on top of cake.