- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour, plus more for shaping
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 1/2 bananas)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; sprinkle lightly with flour.
- In large bowl, whisk flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and brown sugar until combined. Use pastry blender or fingers to cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make well in center of mixture and add mashed banana and milk. Stir with wooden spoon or spatula just until dough forms. Stir in chocolate chips.*
- Transfer dough to floured parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle a little flour on top of dough. Carefully shape dough into 7 to 8-inch circle. Use sharp knife to cut dough into 8 equal wedges. Separate wedges slightly on parchment paper.*
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes until scones are baked through and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly before serving.
- *NOTE: If the dough seems too warm or soft at this point, you can transfer it to the fridge to chill for about 10 minutes before proceeding with the recipe. The key is to keep the butter as cold as possible at all times, so this might be necessary after handling the dough.