- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (from about 1 medium zucchini)
- 1 cup chocolate chunks or chips, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-by-8-inch square pan or 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan with baking spray. Line with enough parchment paper so it extends up sides to use as “handles” for removing bread once baked.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, brown sugar, oil, molasses and vanilla until smooth. In a separate large bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients; stir until just combined.
- Add shredded zucchini and chocolate chunks; stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Top with a few extra chocolate chunks, if desired.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes (for an 8-by-8-inch pan; will be longer if using a loaf pan) until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- If using an 8-by-8-inch pan, cool bread completely in pan on a cooling rack. If using a loaf pan, cool bread 20 minutes, then use parchment paper handles to remove bread from pan and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.