Three ingredients — a quick homemade honey syrup, fresh-squeezed lemon juice and your favorite gin — are all you need to make this easy and delicious springtime sipper.
- 1 ounce (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) honey
- 1 ounce (about 2 tablespoons) hot water
- 2 oz (1/4 cup) fresh-squeezed lemon juice (from about 2 medium lemons)
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) London Dry gin (such as Tanqueray or Beefeater)
- granulated sugar, for the glass rim (optional)
- 2 lemon peels, for garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk honey and hot water together until honey is fully dissolved into water. Set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add lemon juice, gin and honey syrup. Cover and shake vigorously until mixture is well-blended and frothy, about 30 seconds.
- If desired, dip rims of two coupe glasses in a small shallow bowl of water, then in another small shallow bowl of granulated sugar to coat. Strain and divide cocktail mixture evenly between two prepared glasses. Garnish each with a lemon peel, if desired.
- Do not use bottled lemon juice for this recipe. Since lemon juice is one of only a few ingredients, fresh juice will render the best flavor.
- The addition of the sugar rim helps to offset the tartness of the lemon juice in the cocktail.
- London Dry gin is very juniper-and-citrus-forward in flavor, making it the perfect accompaniment to this cocktail. I do not recommend using other types of gin, such as genever or Old Tom gin, for this recipe, as their flavors won’t mesh as well.
Keywords: honey simple syrup, honey syrup, lemon cocktail, honey lemon cocktail, gin cocktail