For the bread:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen, thawed and drained)
For the crunch topping:
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan with butter or spray with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. In separate large bowl, beat butter and sugar 1 to 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Add lemon zest. Beat in dry ingredients alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- To make crunch topping: In small bowl, combine sugars and flour. Using fingers or pastry blender, mix in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle mixture over top of batter in loaf pan.
- Bake loaf 1 hour 15 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely. Run knife along edges of pan before removing loaf.
Keywords: Quickbread, Quick Bread