- 1 3/4 cups (249 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50 g) natural cocoa powder or a combination cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (227 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups (347 g) sugar, plus 1 cup (198 g) for rolling
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the butter on medium until smooth. Add the 1 3/4 cups sugar and beat on medium until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat on medium until combined. Add the flour mixture and beat on low until just combined.
- Place the remaining 1 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in cardamom, if desired.
- Form the cookies into 3-ounce (85 g) balls (a scant 1/3 cup each). Roll each ball in the sugar and place 6 cookies on each prepared sheet pan. Bake one sheet at a time 11 to 14 minutes, until the edges have set and the centers are puffed and starting to crackle.
- Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let the cookies cool completely on the pan.
Keywords: Christmas recipe, Christmas, Holidays