This celebration-worthy chocolate chip cookie cake is soft, chewy and perfectly oversized to feed a crowd for a birthday party or any special occasion.
For the cookie:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Sprinkles for topping, if desired
For the frosting:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Gel food color, if desired
- First, make the cookie cake: Heat your oven to 350°F. Line the bottom and sides of a 12-inch round cake pan with aluminum foil; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cornstarch and 1/2 teaspoon salt until combined. In a separate medium bowl, whisk melted butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg, egg yolk and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract until combined. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients; use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir ingredients together into a soft, thick dough. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Press dough evenly into prepared pan. Top with a few more chocolate chips, if desired (this is purely for looks!). Bake 17 to 21 minutes or until top of cookie cake is lightly golden brown and edges of cake are golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a cooling rack, about 1 hour.
- Use foil to carefully remove cookie cake from pan; peel off foil, and transfer cookie cake to a large serving plate.
- Next, make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer, beat powdered sugar and softened butter until combined. Add pinch of salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon milk. Beat on medium speed until smooth; add more milk if needed to form a smooth, pipeable frosting. Beat in gel food color, if using.
- Transfer frosting to a large piping bag fitted with a decorating tip. Pipe frosting on cookie cake as desired. Immediately top with sprinkles, if desired. Serve immediately, or store loosely covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- You can freeze this cookie cake, fully baked and cooled, unfrosted. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil; freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw, covered, at room temperature until soft enough to cut.
- If you don’t have a 12-inch cake pan and don’t want to buy one, you can press this dough into a foil-lined 10-inch cake pan or 9-inch cake pan, though the dough will be much thicker. Add 12-15 minutes to the bake time; check the dough as it bakes to make sure it’s not under-baked or over-baked.
Keywords: chocolate chip cookie dough, cookie cake, chocolate chip cake, giant cookie