This homemade chocolate mousse is so creamy, smooth, and rich! This decadent dessert is great for special occasions, birthdays, holidays, Valentine’s Day, and more!
- 8 ounces (225g) semi-sweet or dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional toppings: whipped cream, chocolate shavings, berries
- First, in a heatproof bowl, add the chopped chocolate and set it aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1/2 cup of heavy cream over medium heat until it starts to simmer. Remove from heat and pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate. Let it sit for a minute to allow the chocolate to melt.
- Stir the chocolate and cream mixture until smooth and well combined. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar together until creamy and pale yellow in color.
- Once the chocolate mixture has cooled, gradually pour it into the beaten egg yolks while continuously whisking to incorporate. Mix until smooth and well combined.
- In another mixing bowl, whip the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream and vanilla extract until soft peaks form.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat the egg whites with a hand mixer or stand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture until well incorporated. Then, fold in the beaten egg whites, being careful not to deflate the mixture.
- Divide the chocolate mousse into individual serving glasses or bowls. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until set and chilled.
- Once chilled, you can top the chocolate mousse with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, or fresh berries, if desired. Finally, serve!
- Carefully separate the egg whites and egg yolks.
- Beat the cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- In addition, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Allow the mousse to chill for about 2 hours, or until set.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Keywords: chocolate mousse, mousse, no bake, gluten free, desserts, French