Sweet, spiced, tart and delicious, you’re going to love this Old Fashioned with a cranberry twist!
For the cranberry simple syrup:
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon fresh-grated orange zest
For the cocktail:
- 2 to 3 oz bourbon
- 1/4 to 1/2 oz cranberry simple syrup
- 2 to 3 dashes orange bitters
- Fresh cranberries and an orange twist, for garnish
1. To make the cranberry simple syrup: In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring all simple syrup ingredients to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, cranberries have burst and mixture is very slightly thick and red in color. Remove from heat; steep mixture for another 10 minutes, then use a fine-mesh sieve to strain syrup into a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Cool completely at room temperature, then store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
2. To make one cocktail: Add bourbon, cranberry simple syrup and bitters to a cocktail glass; stir for 10 to 15 seconds, then top off with ice. Garnish with fresh cranberries and a twist of orange.
- Simple syrup recipe adapted from Burrata and Bubbles.
Keywords: cranberry simple syrup, bourbon cocktail, holiday drink, Christmas drink