This crunchy French toast recipe features soft bread dipped in milk, eggs and spice and coated in crushed cornflakes for a delicious twist on the classic breakfast!
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk + 1/3 cup heavy cream (or 2/3 cup whole milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 4 cups cornflakes cereal, coarsely crushed*
- 10 slices French bread
- Butter, for cooking
- Powdered sugar, maple syrup, fresh berries, etc., for serving
- Heat a griddle to 350°F, or heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract, orange zest (if using), cinnamon and salt. Place crushed cornflakes in a separate shallow bowl.
- Melt and brush butter on heated griddle or in heated skillet. Dip both sides of each slice of French bread in egg mixture, then dip and coat thoroughly with cornflakes. Transfer to griddle or skillet; cook on each side 3 to 4 minutes, in batches as needed, until cornflakes are lightly browned and French toast is cooked through.
- Serve with powdered sugar, maple syrup, fresh berries, etc.
- *To coarsely crush cereal, pour cereal in a resealable plastic food-storage bag and roll a rolling pin over the cereal on a surface until the cereal is crushed.
- To keep French toast warm while you cook the other slices, place the cooked French toast slices on a rimmed baking sheet and store in a warm oven (200°F) until ready to serve.
- Store leftover French toast in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Keywords: French bread French toast, cinnamon French toast batter, orange French toast batter, cornflake French toast