- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Red gel food coloring
- 1 container Hershey’s® Special Dark chocolate frosting
- Crushed peppermint candies
- Heat oven to 175°F. Spray two baking sheets with cooking spray; line with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine egg whites and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Place bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until sugar dissolves and mixture is warm to the touch, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer bowl to stand mixer; add cream of tartar and salt. Beat with whisk attachment until stiff peaks form, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add peppermint extract; briefly beat to incorporate.
- Use a small paintbrush to paint three lines of red gel food coloring up the inside of a pastry bag. Fill bag with meringue mixture. Pipe 2-inch circles about two inches apart on baking sheets (12 circles per baking sheet). Pipe up the sides of the circles to make a cup about 1-inch high.
- Bake meringues until they are set and can be pulled easily from the parchment, about 1 1/2 hours. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Pipe frosting into center of meringue cups; top with crushed peppermint candies.
Keywords: Christmas, Holidays