- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened and cubed
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 5 ounces dark chocolate
- Crushed peppermint candies or candy canes
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-by-8 or 9-by-9-inch square pan with parchment paper; spray bottom and sides with baking or cooking spray.
- To a medium microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate chips, butter and chopped baking chocolate. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute, then stir. Continue microwaving on HIGH in 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until mixture is just melted and smooth. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, beat sugar and eggs on medium speed 3 minutes until smooth, pale yellow and thick. Stir in vanilla and peppermint extract. Stir in cooled chocolate mixture, then stir in flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder and salt.
- Pour and spread batter evenly into prepared baking pan. Bake 30 to 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean with moist crumbs clinging (be careful not to overbake!). Cool completely in pan.
- Remove brownies from pan and cut into bars. To a small microwave-safe bowl add dark chocolate and remaining 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder. Heat on HIGH 1 minute, then stir. Continue microwaving on HIGH in 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until mixture is melted and smooth.
- Drizzle half of dark chocolate mixture over cut brownies. Top with crushed peppermint candies. Drizzle with remaining dark chocolate mixture. Let set before serving.*
- *Brownies can be served room temperature or chilled.