For the donuts:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour 12 standard-size donut cavities.*
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, rosemary, baking powder and salt until well combined. In a separate medium bowl, whisk eggs, olive oil, milk, lemon zest and lemon juice until well combined. Make a well in flour mixture, then pour in egg mixture. Use spatula to stir ingredients until just combined (batter may be lumpy — this is OK).
- Use a resealable plastic storage bag or piping bag to pipe batter into prepared donut cavities (you can also spoon the batter into the cavities, but it’s a little messier). Bake 11 to 14 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center of one donut comes out clean. Let donuts cool in pan 5 minutes, then tap out onto sheet pan.
- Place butter and sugar for topping into individual large shallow bowls. Dip each warm donut into melted butter, then coat gently in sugar. Serve immediately.