- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1.75 to 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Cooked angel hair pasta, for serving (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- In a large (6 qt) slow cooker, pour and spread just enough crushed tomatoes to cover bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt, to taste.
- Place chicken thighs in an even layer in slow cooker. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Pour remaining crushed tomatoes evenly over top.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low 6 to 7 hours or high 3 to 4 hours, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in chicken thighs reads 180 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, heat broiler and line a baking sheet with foil. In a small bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs with butter and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread in a thin, even layer on foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until breadcrumbs are evenly golden brown.
- When chicken is cooked through, sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese over top. Serve in bowls over pasta, if desired, topping chicken with breadcrumbs and remaining Parmesan cheese. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Keywords: crockpot, crock pot