This Strawberry Custard Tart features a shortbread cookie crust, a homemade custard filling and fresh strawberry topping for a simple, sweet dessert that’s perfect for any summertime occasion!
For the shortbread crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
For the tart filling/topping:
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 3 to 4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- First, make the shortbread crust: Spray bottom and sides of a 9- or 10-inch tart pan (with a removable bottom) with baking spray with flour. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 350°F. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse flour and powdered sugar until combined. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture evenly into bottom and sides of prepared tart pan. Freeze 7 to 10 minutes to firm up slightly. Using fork tines, poke tart crust all over (this prevents any puffing in the oven).
- Place tart pan on a baking sheet, then place on center rack of oven. Bake tart crust 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly golden and baked through. Transfer tart pan to cooling rack; use the bottom of a drinking glass to press the crust in slightly to make room for the custard filling. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tart filling/topping: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk milk, egg yolks, vanilla extract, granulated sugar, cornstarch and salt. Continue to cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until custard simmers and begins to thicken, about 10 to 12 minutes. Pour thickened custard into cooled crust. Cover tart with plastic wrap, placing directly on the surface, to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate tart until well-chilled, at least 4 hours.
- Just before serving, remove the tart pan sides and arrange sliced strawberries on top of custard filling. Store leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- For added prettiness, brush the strawberry slices with 1 tablespoon melted apricot preserves.
Keywords: homemade vanilla custard, shortbread tart crust, strawberry custard pie, vanilla custard tart