Tangy, tart and sweet strawberry rhubarb pie filling with a sugar-sparkled all-butter lattice pie crust. A classic pie recipe for springtime.
For the dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup ice water
For the filling:
- 3 1/2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- 3 1/2 cups hulled and quartered fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup instant or quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Sparkling sugar, for topping (optional)
- In bowl of food processor, pulse flour, sugar and salt to combine. Add cubed butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and butter is roughly size of peas. With food processor running on low, slowly pour in just enough ice water through feed tube until dough forms. Remove dough from food processor. Divide dough in half, and shape each half into disk. Tightly wrap each disk in plastic wrap and chill in fridge 1 to 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 400°F. On well-floured surface, roll one dough disk into 12-inch circle. Transfer to 9-inch pie pan.
- In large bowl, stir rhubarb, strawberries, sugars, lemon juice, salt and tapioca until combined. Pour into pie plate, mounding in center.
- On well-floured surface, roll out remaining dough disk to 11-inch circle. Cut into 2-inch-wide strips (or thinner, depending on preference). Lay half of strips on top of pie, spaced evenly apart and longer strips placed near center. Fold every other strip halfway over itself. Lay one of remaining strips perpendicular to other strips, snug against folded edge of strips on pie. Unfold strips over perpendicular strip. Fold strips laying under perpendicular strip back over top. Lay another remaining strip of dough over pie, snug against folded edges of strips. Continue swapping folded and unfolded strips and adding one new perpendicular strip each time until lattice pattern forms.
- Gently press edges of pie crust together and fold underneath. Use fingers and thumb to decoratively crimp edges of pie.
- Brush pie crust with egg wash, then sprinkle with sugar, if desired. Place pie pan on rimmed baking sheet in center of oven. Bake 20 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake another 30 to 35 minutes until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- Cool pie completely on cooling rack before slicing.
Keywords: strawberry pie filling, rhubarb pie filling, all-butter pie crust, lattice pie crust