Fresh-baked baguettes made with whole wheat flour. Make them for sandwiches, appetizer plates and more.
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Red Star PLATINUM instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (about 120°F)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine whole wheat flour, brown sugar and yeast. Add water; stir to combine. Add all-purpose flour and salt; stir to combine.
- Knead dough on a well-floured surface 10 minutes, adding more all-purpose flour as needed until dough is smooth and slightly sticky, but holds its shape. OR, if using a stand mixer, replace paddle attachment with dough hook; knead dough 5 minutes on medium speed, adding more all-purpose flour as needed until dough is smooth and slightly sticky, but holds its shape.
- Shape dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased large bowl; turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place 1 hour until doubled.
- Punch down risen dough; divide into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece carefully into a thin log, about 12 inches long. Repeat with remaining pieces of dough. Place loaves a few inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Use a sharp serrated knife to cut three 1/2-inch deep slashes on top of each loaf. Cover dough with a tea towel or plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray. Let rise 30 minutes until nearly doubled in size.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Bake loaves 30 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing.
Keywords: wheat bread, french baguette