Decadently fudgy flourless brownies with a rich salted caramel topping!
For the brownies:
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup high-quality semisweet chocolate chips (such as Ghirardelli)
For the salted caramel topping:
- 1 1/2 cups soft caramels, unwrapped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Flaky sea salt, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper; spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Stir in cocoa powder until smooth.
- Remove pan from heat. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla; stir until smooth. Stir in eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Stir in cornstarch and salt until smooth. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour and spread batter evenly into prepared baking pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until brownies are firm, center is set and top is shiny. Cool brownies completely, in baking pan on a cooling rack, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the salted caramel sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir caramels and heavy cream constantly until mixture is melted, smooth and velvety. Pour and spread over fully cooled brownies in pan. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- Refrigerate brownies until caramel topping is fully hardened, at least 30 minutes. Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Store brownies in airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 days.
- To cut brownies cleanly, use a very sharp knife and don’t drag it through the brownies; just cut down and lift straight up. Rinse knife with hot water and dry completely between cuts.
- Brownie recipe adapted from The Washington Post.
Keywords: gluten free brownies, one pan brownies