For the syrup:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup water
- Black food coloring
For the pancakes:
- 2 cups original Bisquick® mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- Red and yellow (or orange) food coloring
- In a small saucepan, bring sugars, flour, cinnamon, vanilla and water to a boil, stirring constantly. Slowly add enough black food coloring to completely dye the mixture black. Stir constantly while boiling for a few more minutes until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together Bisquick mix, milk, eggs, pumpkin puree, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and food coloring until well combined. Spoon batter onto hot greased griddle; cook each side until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes each side.
- Transfer to serving plates; top with syrup and serve warm.