Deliciously minty sugar cookies with a fun checkerboard shape! Roll the edges in colored sugars or leave them plain — either way, you’re gonna love these festive slice-and-bake cookies.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- Colored sanding sugars, for rolling (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl using an electric hand mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract and peppermint extract until just combined. Gradually stir in flour mixture just until a dough forms.
- Remove half of the dough and transfer to empty flour mixture bowl. Add red food coloring to stand mixer or large bowl with remaining dough; stir on low speed just until food coloring is fully incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Shape each half of dough into a rectangular block about 8x2x2 inches. Wrap each block tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- On a cutting board, slice each block lengthwise into 3 equal-sized strips. Slice each strip lengthwise into thirds to make 9 total long, thin strips of dough (about 1/3-inch thick) per block.
- Line up a strip of red dough, white dough and a second strip of red dough on cutting board; press strips together to seal edges. Top with 3 more strips of dough in alternating colors; press to seal. Repeat with a third and final layer. Trim off and discard any rounded edges. Repeat with remaining 9 strips of dough, beginning and ending with white dough, so you end up with two blocks of checkerboarded dough.
- Tightly wrap blocks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and arrange two oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven.
- If desired, roll ends of dough blocks in colored sugars. Use a sharp knife to slice each block of dough into 1/4-inch slices (you should end up with about 32 cookies total); arrange on prepared baking sheets spaced at least 1 inch apart. Bake, rotating baking sheets halfway through baking, until cookies are set in centers, about 12 to 14 minutes. Let cookies cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Recipe adapted from Real Simple.
Keywords: checkerboard dough, red sugar cookie dough, slice and bake cookies, peppermint cookie dough