I have been learning a big lesson lately, and that lesson is on how to just calm down already.
See, I’ve never been good at this. I’m always go-go-going, the wheels in my brain are always turning, I am always seeking out ways to do and be everything and… well, as you might imagine, it’s just too dang much (more like impossible). So I’m taking a step back. I’m calming down already. And these honeydew lime margaritas are helping.
The lovely and lively Kate from Hola Jalapeno has gathered a gaggle of bloggers this week to celebrate the margarita, which I think is just the best idea ever. Since it’s the eve’s eve’s eve of Cinco de Mayo, I’m celebrating with these incredibly refreshing beverages mixed with honeydew melon puree, fresh lime juice and a whole lotta tequila.
I do love me my red wine and dirty martinis and Manhattans, but when I’m in the mood for a sweeter cocktail, the margarita is my true BFF. And while a classic margarita is fantastic in its own ways, these honeydew lime margaritas are truly my new favorite. They aren’t too sweet or too sour, and the honeydew puree is the perfect counterpart to the lime juice and tequila. Add a little teaspoon of agave nectar, some orange liqueur, a dash of salt to the rim of your glass and some ice and Margarita Week is in full swing for you and me.
Oh yes, back to that whole calming down thing? This week is a big deal not only because of margaritas, obviously, but also because Sunday is my 29th birthday, and it’s also Mother’s Day, and my daughter’s second birthday is on Monday. To put it lightly, I’m a constant mess of feelings and stress right now. But I’m taking my lesson in stride. I’m calming down already (er, trying to). That midday margarita is working its magic (JOKING. Maybe).
All of that to say, this weekend is always a big one for us, but having Cinco de Mayo just a few days before, a.k.a. an excuse to drink margaritas and eat tacos (though do we need an excuse for those things?), is always helpful. It sets the tone for a time that would otherwise turn me into a crazy person, what with my incessant go-go-gadget, perfectionist ways.
So let’s all just keep calm and have a margarita, shall we? CHEERS.
- 2 cups chopped honeydew melon
- ½ cup silver tequila
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- Coarse sea salt, for garnish (optional)
- Lime wedges, for garnish (optional)
- In blender, puree chopped honeydew melon until smooth. Pour into large cocktail shaker. Add tequila, lime juice, orange liqueur, agave nectar and a few ice cubes.
- Pour a couple tablespoons sea salt into shallow bowl. Rub rims of 2 cocktail glasses with lime wedges and dip in salt to coat. Fill glasses with ice.
- Shake mixture in cocktail shaker until very cold and well mixed. Strain into prepared glasses. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.