The holidays are thisclose and you guys, I AM SO EXCITED. Like, approximately this excited.
Or this excited.
Or THIS excited.
Anyway, you get the point. Thanksgiving is just a couple of weeks away, then it’s the Christmas season and my heart could just explode from all the holiday cheer.
Due to all this excitement, I have been eagerly baking/creating holiday recipes for all y’all for quite some time now. Mayhaps even before Halloween. And one such recipe is this crescent-topped cheesy vegetable bake — a new creation in my kitchen but surely, undoubtedly, one that will become a tradition among my family for our holiday dinners.
Just how can I be so sure, you ask? Welp, I’ll tell you. There are veggies in this dish, yes, but they are mixed with melted cheese and cream cheese. And then they’re cooked, spread in a pan and topped with a layer of buttery, flaky, soft (and did I mention buttery?) crescent rolls. Then everything is baked in the oven until warm. So yeah. I can be quite sure.
See the thing is, my family is really big on tradition when it comes to what we eat for Thanksgiving and Christmas — and yours truly is no black sheep in that department. I need my green bean casserole, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, mashed potatoes and dinner rolls, thankyouverymuch. And yet, there is always room for improvement, or a slight change, or even just an addition. I think this veggie bake fits that mold. And while my family might not trust me to throw a football in a straight line or carry heavy things down stairs, they do trust me when it comes to food.
If you have room for an extra dish in your holiday spread, I strongly suggest you make this veggie bake. And then I strongly suggest you do the Carlton dance after eating it and/or while decorating the Christmas tree after Thanksgiving. But, you know, that’s just a (strong) suggestion.
P.S. Check out Serious Eats’ recipe hub for more Pillsbury holiday yums.
- 3 (12 oz) packages Green Giant® Steamers® broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and cheese sauce
- 1 (8 oz) container cream cheese
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations® refrigerated seamless dough sheet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Combine vegetables, cream cheese, chopped onion, salt and pepper in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cover and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cheese and cream cheese are melted. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Unroll seamless dough sheet and lay over vegetable mixture, tucking in the edges if necessary.
- Bake 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes before serving.
Disclosure: I received compensation from Pillsbury for recipe development purposes. All opinions are my own.