Happy day-after-Thanksgiving, friends. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and are currently recuperating from massive food comas (I know I am). That’s why I’m here with more food for you.
But wait! Before you go because you can’t stand to look at another Thanksgiving or leftover-related food item, let me tell you this isn’t any of those things. Instead, it’s a thing you can make for the weekend ahead, a thing that works really well for brunch with your family and/or friends, a thing that you will actually want to eat even after eating so many things.
So anyway, here’s the deal: We’ve got an egg bake going on. But not just any egg bake, ho ho no — it’s an egg bake with black beans and cheese and other Southwestern flavors, then topped with sriracha (not so Southwestern, but still yummy). And that’s not even the best part. The best part? You can prep it tonight, sleep in tomorrow and still have it ready for brunch. Can I get an AMEN?
As if it was even possible, Bisquick makes this egg bake even easier so you have fewer ingredients to worry about having on-hand to make this dish. All you have to do is chop, mix, pour and let it sit in the fridge overnight or up to 24 hours (unless you want it right now, in which case you can totally skip the overnight chill).
I kept my version meatless (as I’ve eaten so much turkey already that I need a break from the meat), but if you’re a breakfast meat lover you can definitely add in a handful of chopped cooked bacon or sausage, or swap the black beans for meat. Feel free to keep playing around with the recipe, too — use different cheeses or toss in some chopped bell peppers. It’s pretty foolproof, but very tasty.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to make prep this egg bake for the fam and then resume my food coma recovery on the couch. As we do.
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained and rinsed
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup Original Bisquick® mix
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Sriracha or other hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- In a large bowl, stir 2 cups shredded cheese, black beans, diced tomatoes with green chilies and green onions until combined.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, Bisquick, salt and pepper until well blended. Pour the egg mixture on top of the cheese-bean mixture; stir to combine.
- Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 13-by-9-inch pan with cooking spray. Pour egg mixture into prepared pan. Cover pan with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight (no longer than 24 hours).
- The next morning, heat oven to 350°F. Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese on top of egg mixture.
- Bake 45 minutes until edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with sriracha or other hot sauce, if desired.
Disclosure: I received compensation from Bisquick for recipe development purposes. All opinions are my own.