slow cooker cheesy pesto and spinach egg casserole
Lest you think I’ve moved on from thinking about brinner, I’m here to tell you that a) I have another brinner-ful recipe for you and b) it’s impossible for me to stop thinking about brinner.
Remember that one time we chatted about the winter blahs and having a Backwards Day Brinner Bash to get over them, if even for just one meal? And we drooled over loaded mashed potato stuffed biscuits? Yeahhh, now you remember. Well, meet its lovely partner, the slow cooker cheesy pesto and spinach egg casserole, a.k.a., the egg bake of your dreams (and if your dreams are anything like mine, they include egg bakes).
The lovely people at Bisquick asked me to come up with a slow cooker egg casserole using their product and, truth, at first I was a little afraid of the idea. I mean, I love my slow cooker with a capital L but it can also befuddle me in terms of what actually can bake/cook in there, for how long, etc. etc. (it’s like that thing where I know what mirepoix is and how to cut a pomegranate but I don’t know how to properly make an omelet or what, exactly, constitutes as one shallot. Conundrums.) But after a little planning, research and breath-holding, I figured it out. And the results were spectacular.
This egg casserole is one fine and dandy addition to your Brinner Bash. It’s easy to assemble, and once you’ve done that, the slow cooker does its thing. In just a few hours, it’s all done and ready for the eating. So not only do you get yummy food, but it works for you while you make biscuits and get your party ready (insert celebration and thumbs-up emojis here).
If you’re not a fan of one or more of the ingredients, not a problem — feel free to swap them out with something you do love. For example, if you’re not fond of pesto, swap it with salsa or your favorite tapenade. Use fresh bell pepper in place of the tomato, or mix in some Parmesan cheese with the mozzarella. GO CRAZY. As crazy as you can making an egg casserole, that is.
For more tips and fun Backwards Day Brinner Bash ideas, check out this post. You can also head over to Bisquick for more breakfast as dinner recipes and Backwards Day ideas! And follow Bisquick on Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr and Pinterest.
P.P.S. You can also head over to these bloggers’ posts for more tasty Brinner Bash recipes:
- 2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup Original Bisquick® mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 medium vine-ripened tomato, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Line bottom and sides of a 6-quart slow cooker with foil; spray with cooking spray. Spread hash brown potatoes in a single layer in bottom of slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, Bisquick and milk until well combined. Stir in spinach, cheese, pesto, minced garlic, chopped tomato and salt and pepper to taste. Pour mixture evenly over potatoes in prepared slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on HIGH 3 hours until center is set, edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Disclosure: I received compensation from Bisquick for recipe development purposes. All opinions are my own.