The title says it all. “Pure Delicious.” That is exactly true.
The book is full of incredibly flavorful and filling recipes, and all of them happen to be gluten free, dairy free, egg free, soy free, peanut free, tree nut free, shellfish free and cane sugar free. Because sometimes leaving ingredients out leaves room for other ingredients to shine.
Such is the case with this dairy free fruit crisp (that is also gluten free, egg free and cane sugar free), which comes straight from Heather Christo’s new cookbook. The base is a sweet-tart mix of raspberries, blackberries and blueberries (though Heather says any fruit works well, and it makes me love this recipe all the more). The topping is a crunchy mix of oats, cinnamon and coconut oil. Both are of equal ratio, which is just how I like my crisps. I can take or leave other aspects – cold, warm, room temperature, a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream or nothing on top, berries, apples, peaches, it doesn’t matter – but each bite must be exactly half fruit, half topping. I don’t budge there.
Thankfully, Heather’s recipe does not disappoint in that department. It doesn’t disappoint at all, actually. Because even without butter, or regular flour, or cane sugar, this dessert still stands out in the crowd. In fact, you wouldn’t even know it was different from its traditional counterpart. You’d just be waiting patiently for that second helping.
We’ve been nibbling away at this dessert for the last few days (we’re still recovering from birthday cake, so the sweets intake has dropped slightly in this household… but only slightly) and even having been in the fridge a few days, the topping stays crisp. I haven’t had the pleasure of eating this for breakfast yet but it’s in my future, for sure. And even if I don’t get a chance to eat this batch for breakfast before it’s all gone, I can rest assured that it will happen soon. This crisp is definitely going to be a summer staple. I’m thinking of making a space in the fridge reserved just for it.
PSST – Here’s more information about the Pure Delicious cookbook by Heather Christo, if you’d like to see! I think you should. It’s kind of amazing.
- 1 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated beet sugar
- 3 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut oil (solid state)
- 8 cups fresh or frozen fruit (not thawed)
- 2 tablespoons granulated beet sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
- In large bowl, stir flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, sugar and oats. Use pastry cutter or two forks to cut in coconut oil until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In separate large bowl, stir fruit, sugar and cinnamon. Spread evenly into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with crisp topping.
- Bake 90 minutes until crisp topping is golden and fruit is bubbling. Cool slightly before serving.