chocolate chip banana muffins
Classic banana muffins get a sweet upgrade with melty semisweet chocolate chips baked into each soft, moist and tender bite! One simple trick helps these muffins to bake tall and lofty while keeping their insides deliciously dense and flavorful. You’ll want to make these on repeat for breakfast or snack time, or any time.
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins Recipe
It’s the simple things in life, really, that are worth putting on repeat. These muffins are one of them. They might not win any beauty awards, or take a team of chefs to put together, but that’s what makes them so wonderful and comforting–they’re sweet, and classic, and anyone can bake them. We love to have them on hand weekly for a grab-and-go breakfast or special snack, and it brings a smile to my face to see how much everyone enjoys them!
Here’s what you can expect from this chocolate chip banana muffins recipe:
- Sweet flavor from ripe bananas and chocolate chips
- A quick-mix batter that comes together in 10 minutes or less
- A full dozen muffins ready to eat in just over 30 minutes
- A delectable breakfast or snack that you can store on your counter
How to Make Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
I like to think of these muffins, and most muffin recipes in general, in a 3-step process: Mix, pour, bake. It’s really that straightforward, which is what makes this recipe so approachable for everyday baking. Here is what you’ll need to do:
- Step One: Mix the dry ingredients–flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon— in a large bowl.
- Step Two: Mix the wet ingredients–mashed bananas, melted butter, eggs and vanilla extract–in a separate bowl.
- Step Three: Combine the ingredients to make a batter. Whisk everything together until combined (the batter will be lumpy, and that’s normal). Stir in some chocolate chips.
- Step Four: Pour the batter into paper baking cups, top with more chocolate chips, and bake!
How to Bake Tall Muffins
Did you know that the secret to baking tall, bakery-style muffins with a domed muffin top is found in the oven temperature? Instead of baking your muffins at the same temperature the entire time, bake them at a higher temperature initially, then decrease the temperature to finish baking. The initial high heat will help the muffins bake up nice and tall, and the lower temperature will help them bake through without burning.
To achieve tall muffins in this recipe, we bake the muffin batter at 425°F for 5 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350°F for the remaining 15-18 minutes. So easy!
The Best Bananas for Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
As is the case with most baked goods that have bananas in them, you want to use overripe bananas for this recipe. I like to use bananas that are just past their speckled state, almost entering totally browned territory, where the banana itself is still yellow inside but very soft and fragrant. You can also use speckled bananas with great results.
If you want to make these muffins at a moment’s notice but don’t always have overripe bananas on hand, here is my advice: buy a bunch of bananas, let them get overripe, then peel them and transfer them to a resealable plastic food-storage bag. Freeze the bananas for up to 2 months. When you’ve got a hankering for banana muffins or banana bread, remove however many bananas you need from the bag, let them come to room temperature, then use them in your recipe.
How to Freeze These Muffins
You can also freeze these muffins to have on hand when you need them. To do so, let the muffins cool completely, then transfer them to a resealable plastic food-storage bag. Freeze the muffins for up to 3 months. To serve, remove the muffins from the bag and let them warm up at room temperature.
If you’re in need of a bit of baked comfort, look no further than this recipe. In just over 30 minutes, you’ll be in chocolate chip banana muffin-y bliss.Print
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Soft, moist and dense banana muffins loaded with chocolate chips! This easy muffin recipe comes together in just about a half-hour and is perfect as a snack or breakfast (or both).
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Heat oven to 425°F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper baking liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a separate medium bowl, use a spatula or wooden spoon to mix mashed bananas, melted butter, eggs and vanilla extract until combined. Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture; whisk until just combined (batter will be slightly lumpy). Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups (the cups will be quite full). Top each cup with a few more chocolate chips as desired. Bake for 5 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350°F, then continue to bake muffins for 15 to 18 minutes or until the tops of the muffins are golden-brown and a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean.
- Cool muffins in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store leftover muffins covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Recipe adapted from Preppy Kitchen.
Keywords: banana muffins, banana bread muffins, chocolate chip muffins, muffin batter
It looks awesome. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Taste great, but needed way more than 15 additional minutes at 350. I put mine in at 425 for 5 minutes, reduced the temp to 350 for 15 and checked them. No where near ready. Put them in for 8 more minutes and raised temp to 375. The last two minutes they baked at 375 and needed 2 additional minutes. I would suggest 425 for 10 minutes and 350 for the remained time until done. Otherwise though, recipe is great!