creamy broccoli soup
I’m a total weirdo when it comes to soup (and other things, as you know, but let’s stay focused here).
If it’s a chunky soup, it has to be broth-based, like minestrone or vegetable soup or chicken noodle soup. And it has to be really, really chunky — none of that canned stuff where the three pieces of chicken are microscopic.
If it’s a creamy soup, it has to be smooth. I can’t handle seeing pieces of broccoli floating in my cheese soup, or rice in my tomato soup. The only allowable floaters are croutons, thankyouverymuch.
In other news, I just made soup sound really, really gross. Let’s try to make up for that.
You see, this creamy broccoli soup? It’s a complete anomaly when it comes to my weird soup quirks. It’s broth-based, so I should want things in it, but it’s smooth and I like it that way. But it’s also kind of a cream-like soup with a little bit of texture and heartiness, and I’m totally cool with that, too. I don’t know, you guys. It just works for me. Maybe it’s because it’s too delicious for me to really care one way or the other.
Soup season is most definitely inching closer and as you probably have gathered from the eleventy billion times I’ve mentioned it, I’m very excited for it. The crisp air, the colorful leaves, apple picking, cozying up with sweaters and hot cider and of course, comfort food like soups and stews and baked oatmeal and hearty casseroles — I’m pumped for all of it with a capital P. Even though it hardly looks and feels this way outside yet (oh hai, 95 degrees on Saturday), I’m kicking things off already in the household starting with this soup. And my tummy is very happy.
This soup is on fairly regular rotation on our weekly menu in the cooler months and that is because a) it’s tasty, b) it’s easy to make and c) it’s tasty. There isn’t any actual cream to speak of in this “creamy” soup, just a lot of veggies that get blended into a creamy consistency (with an eensy bit of texture, as I mentioned before). Actually, come to think of it, the soup is totally vegan if you use vegetable broth and skip the cheese on top (which I don’t recommend because cheese, so if you’re vegan you should sprinkle some vegan cheese on top), so that’s neat. And if you serve it up with a hearty, grainy bread that is just perfect for dipping (hint-hint), you’ve got yourself a very healthy-yet-satisfying meal.
So, in conclusion: Creamy but not creamy broth-based smooth vegan-ish broccoli soup = make it soon. Also, I’m a pro at describing things.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable or beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 bunch broccoli, florets roughly chopped and stems peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated white cheddar cheese, for topping (optional)
- Crusty, grainy bread, for dipping (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook until soft and lightly golden, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add broth, water, broccoli, sweet potato and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup, or transfer to a blender and blend in batches. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve topped with grated cheese and slices of bread, if desired.