mini pancake blini with salmon and dill
Popping in on this Minnesota March-y Monday (which basically means it’s anywhere between 30 and 50 degrees F, a confusing time for coats vs. jackets, and sometimes it’s sunny but mostly it’s cloudy and blah and we are ALL ready for spring, amiright) with a recipe for mini pancake blini with smoked salmon and dill and creme fraiche! Sounds so fancy, doesn’t it? But it’s not. I mean, we’re essentially topping a pancake with some semi-fancy-sounding stuff that you can find at Target and then serve it for a semi-fancy brunch or dinner party that’s actually not fancy because the best kinds of brunches and dinner parties involve friends that know you well enough to have them come over in sweatpants. And you answer the door sans makeup with an off-kilter top knot. That’s true friendship, and that’s exactly how I want to serve up these mini pancake blini.
To keep things even easier but still tasty, I used Immaculate Baking Co.’s organic pancake and waffle scratch mix, which consists of flour, sugar, oil, baking powder and salt and yields the most tender, fluffiest pancakes your heart desires. I made mine mini for funsies, then topped them with cool creme fraiche, salty smoked salmon and a sprig of fresh dill for color and flavor. I could pop these all day long, especially now that I’m 35 weeks pregnant and CANNOT stop being hungry (that sounds awesome in theory but honestly, it’s such a chore to eat these days).
Of course, these also would be great as regular-sized pancakes topped with the same ingredients (plus capers and/or red onion, if you want!), if you’re not feeling the mini vibe. Really, we’re just going for the fluffy pancake topped with fancy-not-fancy, salty and creamy and spring-forward flavors. It’s a simple formula that returns big rewards.
Now if only those rewards also would include a sunny, warm spring in Minnesota that starts exactly tomorrow.Print
- 1 2/3 cups Immaculate Baking Co. organic pancake and waffle scratch mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche, sour cream or full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lb smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- Fresh dill sprigs, for topping
- Heat griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat (about 375 degrees F). Grease with vegetable oil or butter.
- In large bowl, stir pancake mix, milk and egg with whisk or fork until smooth. Drop batter in tablespoons onto hot greased skillet. Cook 1 to 2 minutes until bubbles begin to form on surface and edges are dry. Turn; cook about 1 minute more or until golden brown. Transfer to plate. Repeat with remaining batter.
- To serve, top each pancake with a dollop of creme fraiche, a small, thin slice of smoked salmon and a sprig of dill.
Disclosure: I received compensation from Immaculate Baking for recipe development purposes. All opinions are my own.