slow cooker green chile pork tacos + cilantro-lime slaw
Friends, welcome to the next best taco night recipe of your life: Slow Cooker Green Chile Pork Tacos with Cilantro-Lime Slaw.
Lots of words, not a lot of effort. Lots of flavor, not a lot of work. Lots of yums, not a lot of stress. This is a winner of a dinner all around, IMHO.
What are your go-to dinners on the weekly rotation? Since we are meal planners (a.k.a., I decide what we are going to eat and make a grocery list accordingly so we buy exactly what we need for meals), we tend to pick the same foods every week. This isn’t all bad — I mean, tacos are a weekly occurrence, and since I love tacos, I’m not mad about this at all. What does bug me, though, is when the tacos are the same formula every time: Ground beef + taco seasoning + cheese + veg + sour cream. Don’t get me wrong, I love me a classic taco now and then, but sometimes I need to branch out of my taco shell, so to speak.
Enter these tasty slow cooker-style tacos. As the final addition to our short and sweet no-bake series, I’m sharing this recipe for all my friends who need a simple yet satisfying meal that comes together with ease and maximum flavor. It also can be adapted to be dairy-free and gluten-free, for my peeps who request that kind of thing. Tacos for all!
The pork portion of this recipe is made with just three ingredients: Pork, taco seasoning (you can use store-bought or homemade!) and chopped green chiles. It’s amazing that this simple lineup of ingredients can produce so much flavor when they hang in a crockpot for a few hours. Once your kitchen smells like taco night heaven, you know the pork is ready. It practically falls apart when you shred it into bite-size pieces. I’m not drooling, you’re drooling.
The slaw is also super easy! You can shred your own coleslaw mix, or just use the bagged stuff (I use the latter, because I’m lazy and it still tastes good). Mix it with some mayo, lime juice, fresh cilantro and zippy green onions and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours to get all mixed together and full of flavor. This cool, crunchy topping married with fresh red onion, warm tortillas and tender pork is seriously THEEE BEST.
So the next time it’s taco night in your household, or if you’re looking for a slow cooker sensation, or if you just need to take it easy on a weeknight and don’t feel like cooking much, or if you need to get out of your weekly taco rut (ME) or if you just really really love tacos and want to try a new recipe every now and then (ALSO ME), these slow cooker green chile pork tacos are for you. TACOS FOR ALL.Print
For the tacos:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3–4 lb boneless pork sirloin roast
- 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 (1 oz) package taco seasoning (about 2 tbsp homemade taco seasoning)
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles (not drained)
- 16–20 taco-size soft flour or corn tortillas
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- Lime wedges (optional)
For the cilantro-lime slaw:
- 1 (10 oz) bag coleslaw mix
- 3–4 tbsp mayonnaise
- Juice of 1/2 small lime
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Make the taco meat: Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook 5-8 minutes until browned on all sides. Transfer to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add water to skillet. Cook over medium-high heat 2-3 minutes, scraping up browned bits from skillet. Pour over pork. Sprinkle evenly with taco seasoning and green chiles. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix all slaw ingredients until combined. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Transfer cooked pork to cutting board. Use two forks to shred into bite-size pieces. Return to slow cooker; stir into juices.
- Serve pork in warmed tortillas topped with slaw, red onions and a squeeze of lime, if desired.