Hi, hello! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. We celebrated ours with my family in Chicago a day early on Monday, then flew back to Minnesota on Christmas Eve in time for Christmas Day with the husband’s family before he shipped off to work the night shift (blech). Meanwhile, I did my wifely duty by holding down the fort at home, wearing my new pajamas, drinking hot cocoa and watching “Friday Night Lights” on Netflix until I passed out at 9 p.m.
I think it’s safe to say we all need a week to recover from one holiday before diving into the next — New Year’s Eve. But in case you’ve already got that holiday on the brain, I’m here with a yummy-nummy shrimp cocktail-inspired dip for ya. It’s got cream cheese and shrimpies and tangy cocktail sauce and combined it turns into — well, just about the best thing ever, really.
Here’s the thing about me and New Year’s Eve: I’m not a big fan. In fact, it’s kind of my least favorite holiday. I just think I love Christmas so much that New Year’s can’t compare to the hype. Plus, it dictates a lot of getting gussied up and partying and staying up late — all things I enjoy doing from time to time, but generally not all at once anymore because I’m the oldest old woman.
My aspirations for the holiday were high for years, and I so I did the dang thing and went out to the fancy dinners and parties, which eventually turned into chilling at friends’ houses eating pizza and falling asleep in a corner before midnight, which now has turned into staying at home with the husband eating copious amounts of shrimp cocktail on the couch and watching movies until we both fall asleep before midnight.*
So what I’m saying is that my favorite part about New Year’s Eve nowadays is the shrimp cocktail.
I’ve decided I’m switching things up this year, however. I’m making this creamy shrimp cocktail dip instead of the usual cocktail-sauce-and-shrimp routine. #watchoutworld But seriously, it’s so good. The cream cheese serves as the base, then you toss the shrimp with some ketchup and horseradish, spoon it over the top and sprinkle it with shredded Parmesan cheese and sliced green onions. I suggest serving it with these cute lil’ mini toasts, but crackers and/or your fist also will suffice.
In conclusion, bring this dip to a party or chow down couch-side — it’s all good.
*Ironically, I actually am going to a party this year. #watchoutworld This dip is still totally happening, though.
- 1 (8 oz) container Neufchatel cream cheese, softened
- 1 (12 oz) bag frozen peeled, de-veined and cooked shrimp, thawed
- ⅔ cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons horseradish sauce, plus more to taste if needed
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Crackers or mini toasts, for serving
- Spread cream cheese in the bottom of a shallow serving bowl.
- In a separate medium bowl, toss shrimp with ketchup and horseradish sauce. Add more horseradish sauce to taste, if desired. Spoon shrimp mixture evenly over cream cheese.
- Sprinkle dip with Parmesan cheese and green onions. Serve immediately (or cover and chill until ready to serve) with crackers or toasts.