It’s Monday, I’m home from a fun-filled weekend up north celebrating the husband’s 30th birthday that consisted of birthday cake and pie and tacos and wavy chips with French onion dip (KRYPTONITE) and yet I still have all the cravings and room in my belly for this caramel apple cinnamon roll breakfast bread pudding situation. It’s too good to pass it by for the sake of the diet.
One bite and you’d understand. So let’s grab our refilled mugs of coffee and hang out and dunk our forks/faces into this deliciousness.
The base of this decadent pan of sweet fall goodness starts with Immaculate Baking Co.’s organic cinnamon roll dough — so, boom, right off the bat your prep time is cut in half. You’ll cut the rolls into bread pudding-size pieces (like giant croutons) and spread half of them in the pan. Then, you’ll caramelize a few apples in butter and brown sugar and pour some of that over the top. Then you’ll repeat the layers, pour a milk mixture over the top, drizzle on some icing and bake it til it’s golden brown and your kitchen smells like a candle that’s named something like “The Epitome of Best-Ever Fall Smells.” Clearly my next calling = candlemaker.
THEN. Then you drizzle on some more icing and some caramel (homemade or storebought, however you roll!) and then you can eat it. Just be warned — it is everything your growling tummy currently is dreaming of and more. Caramel-y, apple-y, sugary, cinnamon roll-y, decadently and addictively delicious. If I don’t put this breakfast bread pudding on repeat all holiday season, there will be words. With myself.
After a stressful week and a busy weekend, I’d say we all deserve a slow Monday with extra coffee and sugar in caramel apple cinnamon roll breakfast bread pudding form. Join me?
- 2 cans (1 lb 1.5 oz each) Immaculate Baking Co. organic refrigerated cinnamon rolls with icing
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tart or sweet-tart apples (such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp), cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup homemade or storebought caramel sauce
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 9-inch square or round pan with foil; spray bottom and sides with cooking spray.
- Open cinnamon rolls per instructions on cans. Cut each roll into 9 pieces. Arrange half of cut rolls in single layer in bottom of prepared pan. In medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- In medium skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add apples and brown sugar and stir to coat. Cook on low heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until apples are softened and mixture is caramelized.
- Pour and scatter half of apple mixture over cut rolls in pan. Top with remaining cut rolls and apple mixture. Pour milk mixture evenly over top. Drizzle 1 packet icing from cinnamon rolls over top.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes until center of mixture is fully baked and set (cover lightly with foil if top begins to get too brown before finished baking). Cool 10 minutes. Spread or drizzle remaining icing packet over top, then drizzle caramel sauce over top. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Disclosure: I received compensation from Immaculate Baking Co. for recipe development purposes. All opinions are my own.