pasta carbonara with leeks and sun-dried tomatoes
I’m keeping this post short today for two very legitimate reasons.
One, because it’s my daughter’s second birthday (cue the big emotional mom tears from yours truly) and I want to spend as much time with her as possible (a.k.a., help her eat some of her birthday cake).
And two, because this pasta carbonara with leeks and sun-dried tomatoes doesn’t need much explanation. You can see for yourself that it’s crazy delicious.
The first time I had pasta carbonara was just a few years ago, and it was a pasta game-changer. Because when you combine carbs with bacon (or more authentically, guanciale or pancetta), cheese, eggs and cream, magic in pasta form happens.
In this case, both for ease of ingredients and budget, I used thick-cut bacon instead of guanciale and left out the cream. The cheese had to stay, of course. And I added fresh parsley, sun-dried tomatoes and leeks (cooked in bacon fat, yaaassss) for extra flavor.
Pair this dish with a light salad, a glass of vino and a perfect spring day (which Minnesota is WINNING at lately). Repeat throughout the summer as needed.
- 3/4 lb thick-cut bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large leeks, washed, halved and sliced
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for topping
- Ground black pepper, for topping
- In large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat, cook bacon pieces 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked and crisp. Use large slotted spoon to transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate. Reserve bacon drippings in saucepan.
- Cook sliced leeks in bacon drippings in saucepan over medium heat 3 minutes just until leeks are softened and begin to brown. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, bring large pot of salted water to boil. Cook spaghetti according to package directions until al dente. While pasta cooks, whisk eggs in large bowl 30 seconds to 1 minute until frothy.
- Drain spaghetti and immediately add to bowl with eggs. Use tongs to toss spaghetti in egg mixture to cook eggs and coat noodles. Add leeks, bacon, sun-dried tomatoes and parsley. Toss to combine.
- Serve pasta topped with grated Parmesan cheese and black pepper.