chocolate graham crackers
It’s the Tuesday after the holiday weekend, which always feels like a Monday, amiright? Good thing we can lift our spirits with chocolate, in the form of homemade chocolate graham crackers.
I don’t know about you, but for me, summer does not begin until a s’more has been had. My first s’more of the season was had just a few weekends ago, marshmallow toasted over a crackling bonfire, fireflies lighting up the backyard. It was summer magic, I tell you.
I’m hoping/planning for more of those magical summer moments, and I’m going to make them happen with these homemade chocolate graham crackers. They’re simple, easy, deliciously chocolatey and perfectly, magically, summer.
I’d like to say that I made these crackers for Avery, who is the resident graham cracker fiend in our house, but really, I have more plans with these for me. Like, to make them into chocolate peanut butter cup s’mores. Or into ice cream sandwiches with vanilla bean ice cream and raspberry jam. Or grind them up to make a killer graham cracker crust for a grasshopper pie. Or layer them with whipped cream and turn them into an icebox cake. The possibilities are endless, really. But I promise I’ll save some for the tot. It’s only fair.
In my ideal mom life, I’m the mom who makes all of her kid’s snacks from scratch, but in reality, I’m the mom who has two giant Costco-sized bags of Goldfish crackers in the pantry along with enough cereal to feed the entire neighborhood. Nevermind the pancakes (storebought, for shame!) in the freezer for breakfasts, and the veggie hot dogs that I bought, truly, as the only way I can get my kid to eat her vegetables. You might be hanging your head in disappointment, or raising your cup of coffee to me. Either way, this is the mom I am, but I at least made some homemade graham crackers to make up for some of it (let’s not be reminded at this moment that I actually made them for myself, too. Oh wait).
That being said, not only are these crackers easy to make — the hardest part being that you have to locate some graham flour, which I ordered online but can also be found at some coops and specialty food stores — the recipe makes a veritable ton of them, too. S’mores for days! Good thing summer started just a few weeks ago.
↑THIS↑ = summer magic in graham cracker form.Print
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for rolling out dough
- 1 cup graham flour (see post for link to one I used)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Sparkling or granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- In bowl of food processor, pulse all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, graham flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt to combine. Add cubed butter and pulse just until butter is size of small peas.
- In separate small bowl, whisk honey, milk and vanilla to combine. With food processor running, slowly pour in honey mixture. Continue to process 1 to 2 minutes just until dough forms. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into flattened disc and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes until dough is slightly firm.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle work surface with cocoa powder. Unwrap one dough disc and roll out into rough 1/8-inch-thick rectangle. With pizza cutter or sharp knife, square off edges of dough, then cut dough into 2-inch squares. Transfer squares to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough disc.
- Use fork to prick several holes in each square. Bake 10 minutes, sprinkling tops of crackers with sugar halfway through baking (if desired), until crackers are baked through. Cool 1 minute on baking sheets, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store fully cooled crackers in airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
This post contains an affiliate link.